- Department: Biology & CESAM
- Research Group: Functional Biodiversity
- ISI Web of KnowledgeSM search factor : AU=(Coppola) AND AD=(Aveiro) Thesis title: The impacts of Graphene multifunctional nanocomposites in the environment: interaction between climate change and invertebrates Supervisor: Dr. Rosa Freitas, Prof. Etelvina Figueira, Researcher Paula Marques Category: BO Grant type: BD Funding entity: Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT) Grant reference: SFRH/BD/118582/2016 Start date: 2017-09-01 End date: 2021-08-31
Participation in research projects
2018-2021: H2OValue - Graphene based materials and water remediation: a sustainable solution for a real problem? To be started in 18 June 2018. Budget: 235 310€
- Collaboration and traineeship with Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) in the Renewable Marine Resources Department Barcelona (Spain) in the ecotoxicology and biomarkers laboratory of Research Solé Rovira Montserrat with the aim of analyzing the biochemical responses of the Mytilus galloprovincialis (mussel) after prolonged exposure at different temperatures and salinity under Diclofenac and Triclosan drugs.
- Collaboration with the Department of chemistry and biochemistry at the University of Aveiro (Portugal) in the Environmental Processes and Pollutants laboratory of Professor Eduarda Pereira and Post-Doc Bruno Henriques in order to analyze and quantify the mercury (Hg) and arsenic (As) in the seawater and Mytilus galloprovincialis (mussel) contaminated
- Assitent of the bachelor biology students group in the ecotoxicology and environmental sustainability laboratory of Prof. Etelvina Figueira and Post-Doc Rosa Freitas at the University of Aveiro (Portugal) with the aim of analyzing the physiological and biochemical responses of the Mytilus galloprovincialis (mussel) after prolonged exposure at different temperatures under mercury (Hg) and arsenic (AS) concentrations
- Internship at the University of Naples Federico II in the zoology laboratory of the Professor Gianluca Polese in order to study the effects of secondary metabolites of Marine Invasive Species on bream. During the internship I used a combination of techniques and protocols ranging from histological to molecular biology
Organizination of seminars/conferences/dissimination events
2018- SEB's Annual Meeting 2018 “Oral presentation” in Florence, Italy. (https://www.sebiology.org/) Jun 2-7
2018- SETAC Europe 28th annual meeting ‘’Poster presentation” in Rome, Italy. (https://rome.setac.org/) May 13-17
2018 – Workshop “University? What can I choose?” Escola Homem Cristo – Aveiro Portugal, April 20
2018- “Estágios Científicos do IEC: Páscoa 2018”University of Aveiro, Purtugal, March 2018
2017 - Organizing committee of the exhibitor dedicated to "Tecnologias para a proteção, gestão e reutilização da água", Mar e Ria, TECHDAYS event, Centro de Exposições de Aveiro, Portugal, October 12-14
2017 - Organizing committee of the exhibitor dedicated to "Tecnologias alternativas para a remoção de contaminantes prioritários de água", UA Open Campus, University of Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal, May 10-12
2016 - The advanced course in “Integrated Approaches to perceive responses of organisms to environmental challenges” at University of Aveiro, Portugal, 27 June – 7 July
- PSA 10.025 Millennium Merlin Hg analyser,
- Thermal decomposition atomic absorption spectrometry with gold amalgamation (LECO© AMA-254);
- Western, Northern and Southern Blotting
- Quantitative analysis of PAR proteins, Gly, PROT, LPO, SOD, CAT, GST, GSH and GSSG
- MS/MS, MS
- Rh factor determination by PCR
- Agglutination tests
- Analysis of p53 polymorphisms associated with susceptibility to cancer
- Polymorphism detection ABCB1 associated with Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- DNA analysis for individuals identification,
- Gel Electrophoresis
- MANDI (Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption and Ionization)
- SDS-PAGE (Sodium Dodecyl SulphatePolyAcrylamid and Gel Electrophoresis)
- DNA Microarray
- LPS extraction by phenol-water
- Hb determination
- VGM, HGM, CHGM and Hematocrit
- Electrophoresis on cellulose acetate
Master’s Degree to Biological Science in Molecular Diagnostics
University of Naples Federico II, Italy
Thesis:"Physiological and biochemical responses of polychaete Diopatra neapolitana after exposure to different concentrations of arsenic”
Prof. Gianluca Polese (University of Naples Federico II, Italy);
Prof. Etelvina Figueira (University of Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal);
Prof. Rosa Freitas (University of Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal)
Bachelor’s degree to General and Applied Biology in Molecular Biology
Università di Napoli Federico II, Italy
Thesis: "Caulerpin effects on trophic and competitive behaviours of Diplodus Sargus"
Prof. Biagio D'Aniello (University of Naples Federico II, Italy)
- ASARISAFE - Safety and sustainable management of valuable clam product in Portugal and China See more
WoS Papers (6)
Coppola F., Pires A., Velez C., Soares A.M.V.M., Pereira E., Figueira E., Freitas R. (2016) Biochemical and physiological alterations induced in Diopatra neapolitana after a long-term exposure to Arsenic. In: Comparative Biochemistry And Physiology C-toxicology & Pharmacology. 189, 1-9.
Coppola F., Almeida A., Henriques B., Soares A.M.V.M., Figueira E., Pereira E., Freitas R. (2017) Biochemical impacts of Hg in Mytilus galloprovincialis under present and predicted warming scenarios. In: Science Of The Total Environment. 601, 1129-1138.
Freitas R., Coppola F., Henriques B., Wrona F., Figueira E., Pereira E., Soares A.M.V.M. (2017) Does pre-exposure to warming conditions increase Mytilus galloprovincialis tolerance to Hg contamination?. In: Comparative Biochemistry And Physiology C-toxicology & Pharmacology. 203, 1-11.
Rosa Freitas, Francesca Coppolab, Lucia De Marchib, Valeria Codela, Carlo Pretti, Federica Chiellini, Andrea Morelli, Gianluca Polese, Amadeu M.V.M. Soares, Etelvina Figueira (2018) The influence of Arsenic on the toxicity of carbon nanoparticles in bivalves. In: Journal Of Hazardous Materials.
Francesca Coppola, Bruno Henriques, Amadeu M.V.M Soares, Etelvina Figueira, Eduarda Pereira, Rosa Freitas (2018) Influence of warming in the recovery capability of Mytilus galloprovincialis exposed to mercury pollution. In: Ecological Indicators.
Other Papers (0)
Book Chapter (0)
Other Publications (0)
CESAM © 2018 | All rights reserved.